Monday, October 24, 2011

Joy comes from contentment

Joy. Joy is actually my middle name. I wish I could say that it described me to a t, but more often than not in the past, it has not. I find that unfortunate. Not simply because it is one of my names, and thus, it would be really cool if it described me, but because of how important that small, three-letter word really is to a person's well-being.

I firmly believe that without the grace of God, it is impossible to truly understand what joy is. Further than that however, I believe that is impossible to experience a true sense of joy without first embracing the spirit of contentment.

I went through a devotional a while ago all about journeying to have contentment. It was fantastic, and I learned so much, but as with many other devotionals, sermons and readings, I quickly forgot the vast majority of what I learned, remembering only a few key phrases and ideas, and that I had loved it... when I was going through it. I recently gave a copy to a friend, and decided I should try to go through it again, and maybe make it stick this time (by the way ladies, it really is fantastic and I completely recommend it for any woman - the book is Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow). Anyway, I think everything has hit me harder the second time. I remember absolutely bawling through the first chapter the first time around because of how much the words resonated within me and immediately creating a background on my computer with my new mantra. This time, however, I am able to look back over the past few months and see all the times that I knowingly chose joy and contentment, and how much that influenced my situations.

Content is generally just thought of as another word for happy, and one that doesn't seem to hold as much weight. It is so much more than that. The World English Dictionary describes it as "peace of mind; mental or emotional satisfaction." It is so, so true. Happiness seems to be more of a surface-level emotional, and a word people throw out all the time to describe anything and everything. I find it shallow. You can be happy about anything. I am happy when October comes and I can get Pumpkin Pie Blizzards at Dairy Queen. I am happy when I see a buy one get the second one free sale. I am unhappy when I realize that the first item costs more than I am willing to spend in the first place and so I can't get the item. But being satisfied... being satisfied in all that you have, all that is happening in your life, in all that you do... that is much more than a minuscule feeling that quickly fades.

One thing I can compare it to is love. The vast majority of society accepts that people fall in love, and they fall out of love. It happens all the time. The problem is that real love is not just a feeling. It is a choice, one you need to make each and every day, regardless of the situation you are currently in. If you don't choose to support them in all you do, to help them even when you're angry with them, to compromise, to do all that you can to help things improve, things are only going to get worse. If you don't choose to love, things will eventually fall apart. The same can be said for contentment. If you do not choose to be satisfied in your current situation, if you do not choose to give it to God, to trust Him with your every step, though the situation itself may improve, your attitude will not. And the next time something bad happens, you'll be right back where you started. I am not trying to say that choosing to be content is easy. It's not. At all. Choosing to be content is, in my opinion, virtually impossible without God, and hard to do even with God because of how human we are.

Philippians 4:11-13 says,
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.


As you read this, you probably recognized that you have verse 13 memorized, but not the rest. At least, I did the first time I read it a year ago. I did not have any idea about what came before verse 13. This may just mean I need to study my Bible more (which, trust me, I certainly do!) but I also think it reflects how we pick out snippets of things without looking at the bigger picture. These verses give us a clear definition on how to become satisfied, how to be content. Paul wrote these words while he was in prison, not while he was living the high life.


So how satisfied are you?
If you aren't satisfied with what's happening in your life, what can you do to come closer to reaching it?
How much of your life are you pretending to give to God, but then worrying about, wondering about or trying to fix?


If you aren't satisfied in who you are with God, in your current situation, how can you possibly expect to experience true joy? It's hard to do, but it's attainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment